If you are like most amateur photographers and are always looking for that next great shot. I suggest you try these 5 tips to better photography I have written. Knowing these will allow you to turn any photo opportunity into something perfect every time you press the shutter button.
1. The first of 5 tips to better photography is all about imagination and creativity. You want to take a picture that stands out from the rest and doesn’t get bunched into the “just another picture” category right? So try and visualize where everyone else would take a picture from and don’t take that one. Try and find the spot where few people would think to take a picture. The more unique the viewpoint, the more unique your picture will stand out.
2. The second tip is all about perspective. We tend to view things from our own perspective, well how about from someone else’s perspective for a change. Think about what the dog would see, get down to his level and have a look around. You will be surprised at how different the subjects will look from down there. The same goes for the kids, they most likely see things much different than you or I do. You can even place the camera right on the ground to create a very unique shot.
3. The third of 5 tips to better photography is to trust your camera. With the advancement of digital cameras these days, they have become extremely user friendly and fabulous tools in photo development. Try using the cameras built in features to give yourself feedback and find out what you did wrong or right. Many digital cameras allow you to adjust the photos properties and effects right on it as opposed to downloading the files first to see where you went wrong.
4. The fourth tip I want to tell you is to get out of the darn sun. I have seen many pictures ruined because the sun was in the shot and overexposed the whole photo. I know sometimes this is not possible but for the best results, place yourself between the subject and the sun, use the suns natural light to brighten your subject instead of fighting with Mr. Sunshine. What I’m saying is that as long as the sun is behind you the results of your photo will be much better unless its a sunset shot you are after, thats another story for another time.
5. Now for the last of the tips to better photography. Ask your critiques. That might be a family member or friend or someone you dont know at all, but these people can help you more than you know. Listen to what they have to say, make a note of it and the next time you find yourself taking a photo remember the advice given to you, and with a little practice your shots will become better and better each time.
These tips might seem self explanatory but I think they are very important to achieving great picture results. By applying these simple tips to better photography you will become more comfortable shooting any subject. The next time you are taking photos just remember what you have learnt.